Monday, June 9, 2008

Army Wives

I started watching the Lifetime show Army Wives halfway through the first season. B was deployed to Iraq at the time and while I found some of it fairly far fetched, I fell in love with it. I ended that last season sobbing and it would seem that I begin this second season in the same state.
I was watching tonight and found that I was getting a little angry. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then I realized. This isn't how it is. Most people know that the General's wife isn't buddies with the Private's wife, but it was more than that. For three years I've been here. An Army wife. Maybe I'm the weird one; the outcast. But, I don't feel like an outcast. I don't feel like the type of person who is completely unable to make friends. I've never been the super sociable one, but I have always had two or three extremely close friends and several more that I would consider good friends.

For the last three years I've had a few people who were briefly somewhere above acquaintance, but below friend. It has been a difficult existence.

So, I understand now why the show was making me angry. These women who not only were friends, but truly cared for each other. So ... angry. But, as I watched, I realized that maybe some things were fairly unrealistic, but a lot of the feelings and reactions to situations were very real; at least to me. Roxy, one of the "wives" I really relate to, is a new wife and her husband deployed at the end of last season. She begins this season waiting to hear from him to know he's reached Iraq safe. She waits and waits. Frustrated, scared, angry. I get her.

I wish she lived here ... I'd like to have her as a friend.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I've been wanting to watch this, but have a hard time catching it without my DVR, argh!

I think I might get teary eyed and a little upset as you have though.